Job ID 1828
This position is posted by Community Title, headquartered in Alton, Illinois. Community Title is the largest independently owned Title agent in Southern Illinois with 8 current branches. The company is also a partner in True Title, operating in Missouri with 10 current branches. This position would be located in Alton, Illinois and requires a license to practice law in Illinois. This is a position where your primary responsibility would be to provide underwriting support to company staff. You would be trained to both search and examine title as a fundamental component of the position, and as a necessary background to help you assist and advise on complex underwriting issues and on commercial exams. A key component of the job will require a high level of problem-solving skills. In this regard, you will work closely with the search/exam manager (Production Manager). You would also work closely with the principal owner of the company regarding many areas of operation of the business. The position will also entail providing ongoing guidance to company management to assist in safeguarding the company from claims, losses and other risks typically affecting our title companies.
Affiliated Legal Services
A secondary responsibility will involve the drafting of various real estate related contracts and documents as requested by customers. These services would be provided for the law firm that is affiliated with the title company.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
Some or all of the following duties & responsibilities may be assigned as business needs dictate:
- Provide underwriting support to Company staff, including review of surveys, powers of attorney and other closing-related documents;
- Prepare certain documents required for closing/title insurance outside the scope of escrow closers, such as escrow agreements, disbursing agreements and closing affidavits;
- Work with Company management and staff in the update & revision of standardized documents (i.e., deeds, affidavits, commitments), standardized requirements and exception language;
- Stay apprised of underwriting, industry, regulatory & statutory changes and provide Company staff with guidance on such issues as they arise;
- Work with Company staff in the resolution/cure of title defects on closing and title files;
- Work with Company management in the resolution/cure of any matters/claims which arise post-closing;
- Assist Company management in development and maintenance of company policies and procedures, including ALTA Best Practices;
- Perform legal research on special projects as requested;
- Active law license in the State of Illinois;
- Strong customer service and problem solving skills
- 3+ years of legal experience related to the real estate, title and/or banking industry.